Thursday, October 8, 2009

Another day at the office

  I could hear the soft chatter of two of my co-workers as they talked from the back of the office about what they saw on TV last night. The Lifetime channel was a favorite for them. In between the chatter there were long and loud sips from their coffee cups. I managed to sit at my desk and Facebook an old friend for 10 minutes before anyone noticed that I was in the office. Oldie and Smarty appeared from the back with their coffee cups plastered to their wrinkled lips. They seemed surprised when they saw me at my desk. I could not hear everything that they were previously talking about, but chances were some portion of it was about me and my "attitude".  Smarty asked how my night was, opened the door and left all in one motion. She didn't stick around to get my response. I hadn't planned on giving her one anyway.  Oldie sat down at her desk, creaking all the way down into her seat. Smarty came back in the office from her smoke- break and rushed to her desk as if checking her Facebook account was an urgent matter. There was complete silence except for the clicking of our computer keys.
   And then, in comes Cherry. She's only 30 minutes late today. When her hand touches the door her mouth instantly starts to produce words. She waves her hand in a general motion of "hello" to everyone and starts talking about how her youngest son just couldn't stand to leave her today when she dropped him off at school, how she was tired from baking from-scratch cupcakes last night for her other son's class, how her husband and her just had to celebrate his getting a part in the newest play at the local theater. All of this was said as she breezed through the office, past our desks, and into her office. Smarty immediately ran into Cherry's office to help her put her purse up and get her out of her coat. Oldie had a huge, fake grin on her face. I just sat there staring at all of them as the reality hit me that I was in this situation.
   Smarty brought a fresh mug of coffee into Cherry's office and sat it on her desk. She warned Cherry that it was fresh brewed and for her to let it cool down before she drank it. I couldn't believe Smarty felt she had to tell an adult woman not to drink scolding hot coffee. Smarty told Cherry that she had prepared cassoulet and coq au vin for dinner. I had noticed that she always pronounced her cooking endeavors with an accent that matched the country of origin. I almost peed myself from laughter once when she told of the night she made Swedish cuisine and pronounced fiskbuller and isterband like the Swedish Chef from the Muppets. Like my husband always says, "you can buy an education, but you can't buy class". Cherry and Smarty seemed completely engrossed in each other. I noticed that they looked each other in the eyes when the talked to each other. I just can't do that. I can't look people in the eyes. It makes me want to laugh. Or, I'm always looking for boogers peeking out of their noses or hair growing in weird places. I was ripped away from my thoughts when Oldie stood up from her chair and her right knee got fired up for the morning. She shook her legs like an athlete preparing for a high jump and then pranced into Cherry's office. I watched the three of them. I saw something at that moment that caught my attention. I noticed that Cherry and Smarty were wearing the same pendant on their necklaces. This friendship is out of control. Oldie was soon sitting in a chair in Cherry's office all to herself with no one paying attention to her. She was in deep thought. What was on her mind?