Thursday, January 7, 2010

The truth is hard to face

  I had my Weight Watchers meeting today. Well, actually it is going on as I write. Our meeting got relocated to another conference room and it was so hot and cramped that I could not tolerate it. I debated and debated over the past few days about whether I would weigh in or not. Why would have this debate you ask? I know what I ate over the holidays. I was BAD!!!! I ate more than I would on a regular day. Most holidays I don't eat much, but I lay around a lot. This year I did both. Long story short...I GAINED 3.4 pounds over the past 3 weeks. Let see. What does that 3.4 pounds represent during those 3 weeks? Here are some memorable dishes. The delicious fruitcake my daddy makes. The awesome hermit cake he also makes. My mother-in-law's scrumptious rum cake. My mother-in-law's heavenly country ham. My sister-in-law's delightful parmesan stuffed dates wrapped in bacon. My sister-in-law's delightful oreo cookie treats. My mom's tantalizingly moist turkey (which later made amazing turkey sandwiches with white bread and Miracle Whip...3 at a time).  My mom's sinful spiral ham. My decadent cream cheese filled pumpkin muffins. My dad's comforting oyster stew. The 4 Apple Uglies. The Big 'N Tasty with cheese and the Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese from McDonalds. The Swiss Colony cheeses. And, that's not all. Then there was the Cheeseburger in Paradise episode...an order of conch fritters with dipping sauce, 90% of my husband's order of fried dill pickles with dipping sauce, an order of teriyaki string beans, a HUGE burger with 2 kinds of cheese, 3 glasses of sweetened black tea, and one fruity mixed drink. There was also halves of 2 different kinds of pizza (that means one whole pizza) from Mellow Mushroom, the 3 BBQ pork sandwiches with cole slaw and a half bag of cheddar sour cream chips, and the 24 chicken wings at Buffalo Wild Wings. That was the holiday for me. That was just the itty bitty tip of the iceberg. Sad. So sad.
    Ok. Now what? I learned something very important from this holiday experience. I have a SERIOUS problem with food. DUH!!! If you asked me how many times I was actually hungry when I ate all of this stuff, the answer would probably be around 30-40% of the time. Now, I just have to take a deep breath and head in the right direction.  This week, I've gone to the gym 3 times for 45 minutes each time on the Nu Step machine. The lady in charge of the training program at my gym delayed our sessions until next Thursday. I will start that program next week. I will also be starting 2 different yoga classes the week of January 18. I was a little proud of myself for even going to that Weight Watchers meeting today. It was a personal triumph. You see, in the past, I have always (for some strange reason) started the Weight Watchers programs before the holidays. I would also feel so ashamed of my holiday weight gains that I would either never show up to another meeting or go to find out what I weighed and THEN stop going. But, this year I went and WILL continue to go no matter the results.