Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"The" weight gain/loss journey...part 4

    In 1991 I started working at this crappy job driving a bus. It was the best/worse decision I've ever made. I would meet my current husband at this job, but the job ruined my back. I had an injury at the job that compacted my spine and has caused permanent damage to my back.  Because of this injury, I am not able to walk for very long before the pain causes my legs to go numb. It also just hurts to stand for long or sit for long as well.  I am generally in pain most of the time. Only recently have I been able to get exercise and only because I'm just having to fight through the pain. Right after the accident, I started to put on weight from inactivity.
     So, this kind of brings me up to today in my journey. I'll probably think of past things as the time goes on, but for now, this is where I am at. As I have said, I have tried MANY different diets. I think it was fate that I would try all of those diets. I've learned different things and have retained some of those habits. For example, I OFTEN break out a Weight Watchers (WW) recipe and fix it at home. This past week alone, I made two of my favorite WW recipes. I still read WW magazine and "sort of" calculate WW points in my head when making food decisions. I also found the Paul McKenna weight loss methods to be useful. I have his book, his DVDs, AND even watched his show on TV. In recent years I have even learned to love the taste of dill pickles, unsweetened tea, and mustard.
    The biggest change I've made in my life has occurred recently. As of July 1, 2009 I started going to the gym 3 times per week, for 30 minutes each time. I have faltered 2 weeks. I only went once on those 2 weeks because I have bone spurs in both of my heels and just couldn't stand the pain. It's been slow going because I cannot resist food. Like today. I got up at 5am, was dressed for the gym by 5:25, and in the parking lot of the gym by 5:31. I sat there and sat there. Finally, I gave up and went to McDonalds. I love their breakfast. I ate WAY too much and cried while I did it because of the guilt. When I went to my physical in September, I had only lost 2 pounds in 2 months because of this behavior. I also stopped drinking sodas on February 25. I decided to observe Lent this year and I gave up soda. I had once drank at least four 12 ounce cans of soda per day. I now mostly drink water, tea (mostly unsweetened), very little Crystal Light (I love the lemonade and fruit punch), and the occasional beer or hard cider.  I thought I would drop all of this weight, but that did not happen because of my eating habits. I crave all of the wrong foods. That is going to be the next big step for me...eating right.
  Now that I have provided a substantial background for everyone, I hope to now do daily updates of what I've eaten, my exercise, and just anything related to my weight. Like I've said, maybe I can learn something from other people and perhaps they can learn something from me. Maybe we can all lose weight together. Maybe others will find strength to solve other problems if they do not have a weight problem. Right now, I am not comfortable enough to write what I weight. I will soon. BUT, I will say that I weight more than most contestants on the Biggest Loser. Don't worry. I will tell you all soon what I weigh. I've set the goal of losing enough weight to run the Charlottesville women's 4 miler Labor Day weekend of 2010. I would also like to run the Virginia Ten Miler at home in Lynchburg on September 25, 2010. My podiatrist is working with me to meet that goal and solve this bone spurs problem. He told me yesterday that I would meet my goal if I keep going to the gym and coming to him. I am also going to be going to my 20 year high school reunion in 2010 as well. I want to feel good about myself and enjoy the reunion while not being over-conscious about my looks. My friends deserve to have my attention on them and not on me.